Kids start learning more advanced mathematical concepts by the time they reach fifth grade. They are introduced to multiplication, division, fractions, decimals, etc. To help them understand the concept they are learning, you can conduct engaging games for children. These games help children understand the concepts and solve mathematical problems with speed and accuracy. Kids can make fast and accurate calculations for better academic results. Kids enjoy learning when the concept is presented to them in the form of games or activities. They like to learn concepts with fun-filled activities.
Kids in grade 5 are highly active and energetic in learning new things. They are extremely inquisitive about the world around them. Therefore, you can teach important concepts of math in an interactive and entertaining way. These games create interest among children to open their minds and arms for learning. They can grasp the information easily, which was challenging for them to understand at the beginning. These math games for grade 5 enable children to explore, express and experiment with mathematical concepts that help them score well in math and other subjects.
Young children might feel disengaged in learning mathematics if they do not understand the concepts. In such cases, conducting games helps them stay focused and active throughout the learning process. They retain the information you are teaching to them for a longer period of time. Most importantly, kids develop essential skills required for their educational growth and development. You must encourage your child to ask questions and solve problems immediately. They must learn to clarify their doubts about mathematical concepts on the spot. This avoids piling up complex concepts at the last minute of their assessments.
You must ensure that your children understand every concept you teach through activities and games. The games must be engaging and entertaining for the children. Participating in such activities helps them concentrate and pay attention to your instructions. Besides this, they try to come up with new ideas to make the activities more enjoyable. Below are a few games to learn mathematical concepts for children.
- Color by number: In this activity, you need to provide printable coloring pages to kids. The illustrations must have equations, for example 2 + 2, 4 – 3, 5 x 3, etc. Kids need to solve the problems correctly. Based on the answer, they need to use the color codes given on the worksheet for coloring the images. This is a fun task for children to upgrade their arithmetic knowledge and coloring skills. Based on the number of correct answers, you can declare the winner.
- Measure objects: To teach children measurement skills, you can ask them to measure the given objects using the measuring tools. For example, they can measure water, cloth or mangoes with a measuring jar, tape and weighing machine. This activity helps them understand the measurement units and steps to measure the objects effectively. You can give points based on the accuracy of the measurement of objects assigned to them.
- Passing the ball: In this activity, you can make kids stand in a circle or a line. Then, provide a ball to the kid standing first in the line. Start the music and pass the ball to one another. Once the music stops, kids who received a ball must answer the question related to mathematical concepts correctly within the allotted time. For example, what is 6 + 15? What is the measurement unit of weight? How many sides are there in a square? etc. Kids need to answer them correctly, or they will be out of the game. The game will continue unless you find the last kid standing in the line.
Conducting games and activities is highly beneficial for kids of all ages for their cognitive development. Apart from playing games on regular days, kids can also participate in activities during holidays and festivals to learn math. During these games, they can color, hunt or make things to learn mathematical concepts creatively. For example, kids can download St. Patrick’s Day coloring pages or play treasure hunt on Christmas eve. These activities help children to learn complex concepts while having fun. The benefits of games for children to learn mathematics are mentioned below.
- It creates a fun learning environment for children.
- It encourages children to learn at their own pace.
- It increases knowledge of mathematics and the challenging concepts.
- It improves the retention of information among children through games and activities.
- It develops creativity, visualization and fine motor skills in children.
- It helps children practice and solve math problems with accuracy and speed.
- It helps children score well in their academics.